May 23, 2009

The Refiner's Fire

There is an update added to the end of this blog...scroll down to read the most current news as of tonight 5/23/09. Please Continue to Pray for my mom and dad. Blessings Always...no matter what! God is in control!


This is an image I have been meaning to share. It is a picture of a plastic container that survived my mom and dad's house fire on January 8th, 2009. It contained some treasured memorabilia from my dad's Husky basketball days...It was found in an old steamer trunk, unharmed and all it's contents in perfect condition. Below is a picture of the trunk that protected it.

I have reflected upon these images and a certain verse over the past few months... They have reminded me of the sacrifice Jesus made for us in order for us to be saved. His body broken, so we could have life.

" When you pass through the waters, I will be with you, and through the rivers, they will not overwhelm you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned or scorched, nor will the flame kindle upon you." (Isaiah 43:2)

Well- It's been a long time since I've made any mention of my dad's recovery. My apologies to those of you who have been tracking this blog for updates. I spoke to my dad yesterday and he informed me that my non-communication scared some people. So with that said...let me catch you up to speed. My dad had surgery on April 17th and within days he was a complete mess. He said he has never been in such pain...and let me tell you, the man has an incredible pain tolerance. Turns out, the surgery failed. The appliance placed in his hip came detached and his right leg was 3 inches shorter than his right. At the point he was released from the hospital, he had a hip that was unattached and no one new it. Ugh!

After allot of pain, tests and failure to do anything the physical therapists where asking him, it was determined that he would need to go under the knife again. So back to the hospital he went for surgery #4 (since January). The surgery was to reattach and hopefully lengthen his right leg. (He's always loved being tall!) The concerning part has been that he had to keep "going under" again and again. Infection, blood clots and extremely low blood pressure have been a risk every time. I did not travel up to Seattle this time around, instead we all went straight into prayer mode trusting God with the outcome once again.

God has been faithful even when our faith has wavered or when we found ourselves working through doubt and fear. It is then when we have come to understand more fully the meaning of our weakness and God's strength. He has carried and comforted our family through this season and continues to do so. He hears our hearts cry and he has heard the prayers of many on our behalf and we are humbled. My dad told me to tell everyone that he is thankful for each and every prayer and he has needed every single one.

There is such a bigger picture here than all the drama, pain and fear we have felt at the thought of losing a loved one before the time seems right. It has been an intense testing of faith and walking through the process of refinement. The Refiners Fire in the end produces that which is beautiful for God's glory! I pray that through this season each and every member of my family has grown in their walk with the Lord who loves us so dearly.

"Consider it pure joy, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." (James 1:2-4)

My dad had his 4th and hopefully final surgery on May4th. So far so good. The new hip is reattached and his leg only has about a 1" difference now. He is back at the care facility, working very hard to rehab and do all he can to gain strength after being bed bound for the past 4 1/2 months. He was up on his legs days after surgery and is walking daily on a walker.

My mom spent the last month in Seattle and is now back tending the farm. She has been busy packing up the city apartment and making the once, (Guest house) their new home. Dad hopes to join her within the month. There is still a long road of recovery ahead for my father and many decisions to be made as my parents rebuild there lives after the loss of so much that once was. Last week we received news from the insurance company that the cause of the January house fire was deemed as undetermined. We don't know how or why the fire started but we do know that God allowed it and we choose to trust that He knows best... always has, always will.
It is a fact that all of us will face trials, Gods word is clear: we will go through adversities in our lives. We may not like or understand it. All I know is His ways are above our ways and His thoughts are above our thoughts and He knows best. To God be the Glory in and through all of whatever "it" may be in our lives.

UPDATE:
As I was finishing the above post, I got a call from my sister and then my mom. I just received news that my dad has been transferred back to Swedish Hospital today 5/23/09. He is running a high fever and there is infection in his body once again. Please continue to pray for complete healing, comfort and peace for my dad. Also that the rest of us would be covered in God's strength as we continue to face the Refiner's fire.

No comments:

Sharing our LifeSong through word and image...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails