January 9, 2009

It was HUMBLE, but it was HOME!

What a way to start the new year. Last night my parents lost there home to a house fire. To say the least our family is in a state of shock and trying to process the news. It has been a day of many tears.... tears of both sadness and tears of pure gratitude. We are incredibly grateful that Grandma Jeri and Papa Doug and their dog (Cowboy) made it out in time. It all began when my dad was going to make dinner. He preheated the oven popped the lasagna in and turned to make a salad. Within moments as he turned back around, half the kitchen was already a blaze. Dad yelled to mom who was napping in a near by bedroom to call 911. She did as instructed then got the heck outside with the dog. Dad remained for a bit to try to put out the flames then soon realized that it was completely out of control. It is suspected to have been caused by a gas leek, do to the speed of which things ignited. As you can see from the picture below, it was a total lose. Our family would appreciate your prayers as we face a new season together. Thank you all so much for your phone calls, love and support already.


Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy,
and where thieves do not break in and steal.
(Matthew 6:18-20)



Here is an article from the local Orcas Island News

Orcas residents lose home in fire Today, 8:58 AM · UPDATED

At 5:41 p.m. on Thursday, Jan. 8, Orcas Island Fire & Rescue responded to a reported structure fire at 180 West Beach Road.

First on scene was Division Chief Patrick Shepler, who reported the structure fully involved and threatening a nearby barn. Eastsound Engine 21 arrived within nine minutes, just as a second alarm was called.

Westsound's Engine 22 and Water Tender were quickly on scene, followed by Orcas Engine 26 and Rosario's Engine 23. Firefighters aggressively attacked the fire while others gained access to the barn by prying boards from the south side. The interior crew used compressed air foam to stop the fire from entering the barn just as flames started scorching paint cans stored inside. In all, 27 fire and rescue members worked to extinguish the fire and the fire was declared under control at approximately 6:50 pm.

Firefighters remained on scene working for an additional 2.5 hours. The Auxiliary also responded with food for the fire crew and clothing for the residents who escaped unharmed but lost everything in the home, which was a total loss.

http://www.pnwlocalnews.com/sanjuans/isj/news/37337829.html

1 comment:

Deborah Jenson said...

Kim,

I am so saddened by the news of the fire to Aunt Jeri and Uncle Doug's home. Thankfully no one was hurt, but what a devastating loss. I am thinking of you all.

Love and miss you,
Your cousin,
Deborah

Sharing our LifeSong through word and image...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails