February 21, 2009

Holding Pattern



We are in a holding pattern to say the least. I made my way back to Oregon and have spent the last week and a half adjusting back into my life as a full time wife and mom. This transition took place just in time for Scott to leave town and for both kids to come down with fevers. I find myself so relieved to be home, yet exhausted and a bit out of sorts. If I feel this way, how might my parents be feeling? My mom is tending to the farm on her own (which she is very capable of ) and my dad is in a care facility is Seattle. He is still fighting infection and remains on antibiotics and will do so for the next several weeks. Mid to late March the doctor plans to do an exploratory surgery to see how everything looks. We are unsure what the outcome of this surgery may be. A)More infection could be found at which point they would remove as much as possible and re-pack the site for more debriefing of infection. B) The site looks good and the doctors move forward to try to implement a new hip. C) Unknown?




I talked with my dad yesterday and he seems to be holding up okay. There had been a miss que on his pain meds last week after which he had quite a run in with the medical staff. We are hopeful that everyone is on the same page at this point. He says that the days just pass so slow. He is however grateful for good friends both old and new that have come to visit and help pass the time and lend support. My mom will plan to travel back and forth from the island to spend a few days with dad every week.

This reminds me... when Luke and I where with my mom up on the islands, there where two separate occasions where my mom needed to get to Seattle in a hurry. She opted to fly off in a sea plain instead of taking the slow boat to the main land. Now every time Luke sees a plane he says, "Look mommy... a plane, is that grandma?"


The San Juan Islands are such a beautiful place. A place that some even refer to, as "a little slice of paradise." It seems that even in the midst of concern and chaos ....God is sure to speak encouragement and strength through all that he has created.


There is a stillness, a quietness that embraces you on the islands. One that I will forever treasure. I will treasure traveling to Friday Harbor to visit my grandparents over the past 30+ years. I will treasure the farm and all it's beauty and wonder. I will treasure the labor of love that my parents put into the land over the past 20 years to make it a sanctuary to many friends , family and strangers and animals.


There is a long road ahead....one that at times seems endless. We are unsure of what is on the other side of the bend or over the crest of the next hill. All we can do, all any of us can do is move forward and trust that God will meet us there, for He is always with us.

"Have not I commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

No comments:

Sharing our LifeSong through word and image...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails